Thursday, November 25, 2010

Miss Sick Chick Morgan County 2011

What do you have to do to spread the word about Lyme Disease? You can spread awareness through Facebook, through friends, seminars, etc. BUT as a 17 year-old high school girl, not many people listen to what they have to say...despite your loud voice, your stage presence, your perseverance. I prayed and prayed for a way that I could educate people on the awful disease that I have, and it finally arrived! The Miss Morgan County Pageant 2011. I had never been in a pageant, never thought that I would want to be in one, and didn't think I'd ever be able to partake in one.

The fabulous women in charge of the pageant, worked with me in extremely wonderful ways. I could use my wheelchair whenever needed, could have help walking anywhere, and they allowed my mom to be back stage in case something would happen.

In my interview with my judges, I talked about Lyme as long as they would listen. I wore my Lyme ribbon and Lyme bracelet during every event...including the evening gown wear. I sat in my wheelchair proudly (smiling but in excruciating pain). During intermission, I spoke to everyone I could get to about Lyme Disease. Even if I had touched one person, that was enough. That was my goal.

"And Miss Morgan County 2011 is, Jenna Hansroth!!"

I smiled. Sure, it was nice getting a crown and being the pretty popular girl for the night, but I was gleaming with the thought "wow, I have the title...I CAN EDUCATE ABOUT LYME DISEASE! I CAN MAKE A CHANGE!!"

Never thought this would be thrown my way this year, but I'm taking advantage! Everyone, be prepared for some education and new knowledge!!

No comments:

Post a Comment